ឆាវខ្វៃ and moto parts for sale!


One of my favorite Chinese contributions to Khmer food is cha kvai (ឆាវខ្វៃ). Cha kvai are fried dough sticks, more like crullers than churros. They are sold in pairs, for dipping in or adding to your noodle soup. I got hooked on them in Phnom Penh. But I would bet that they, like the Teochew people, may be found throughout Southeast Asia. In Cambodia, they are most commonly found on restaurant tables alongside the condiments in the morning, and any given restaurant's supply is usually all eaten up by noon. Initially, I had assumed that each restaurant made their own. But after long hours of observation (lots of mornings sitting eating my soup and taking my coffee), I realized that they seemed to be produced elsewhere and either delivered to restaurants in the mornings by courier or picked up by restaurant employees. I stumbled upon one of these cha kvai production facilities one morning near Psah Kandaal.

During business hours, it is just an unassuming moto parts shop.


But early in the early morning, it is a bustling hub of fried dough production!





If you want to make your own: http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2007/05/yau-char-kway-ii.html

5 comments:

    in thailand they are called patongo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVRq33I3pU

    I've never eaten them with ice cream though

    "Paa-tong-gooo gup ice cream ka"

    My god I miss southeast asia right now

     

    One of the stories that one of my Khmer workmates was adamant about was that cha kvai is an onomatopoeia - the donuts make the sound "kvai kvai kvai kvai kvai" when they're frying.

    It's a theory that I can't confirm, but they certainly sound nothing like that to me.

     

    @Dr. Maytel:

    Cute YouTube clip. I think that they would be tasty under ice cream.

    And I miss Southeast Asia too.

    @Phil:

    Cool! I never heard that, either from an informant or from a vat of frying cha kvai. But, I like the story.

     

    my mother used to make something like this when I was a kid. She called it savory donut delicious for breakfast with a big cup of coffee. Nice blog!
    Cheers,
    Heguiberto

     

    Very nice blogg you have here

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum