From Fizzy Yoghurt to Horse-Goat Milk

horsegoatmilk

Who doesn't dream of bubbles in their yoghurt? My favourite tingly (though not really bubbly) yoghurt product is filmjölk, a really yummy Viking-era delicacy, which, due to the healthy bacteria, gets extra coagulated (a nicer word would be 'creamy'). But at the same time it has a pleasant fizzy tingliness reminiscent of those Nerds candies that crackle in your mouth, or a pottle of vintage kimchi that's been sitting at the back of your fridge for at least 6 months. You know – the really good stuff.

But I had heard rumours of Nordic yoghurt drinks that were not merely tingly, but also carbonated, and I was intrigued. So when I saw this little bottle (pictured above) next to the filmjölk, I snapped it up.
Turned out not to be a bubbly yoghurt drink (Calpis soda is probably as close as I'll get to that kind of heaven). Instead, it is a whey drink made from horse + goat milk.

Horse milk, the label claims, is highly digestible by humans and rich in nutrients. I tried it - it tasted like any whey-based sports drink, very cold and watery, except with dominant sour and gamey (goatish?) top notes. Probably won't be my quaff of choice on hot summer afternoons.
I'm not actually sure anyone should drink it unless they are a lactose-intolerant person who is recovering from a marathon or diarrhea.
I'd write it off as yet another example of a fad where people will try anything for their health - but apparently horse milk was so popular it was actually delivered door to door during the First World War in Germany. And horse meat is a staple old-timey roasting meat here too. So the traditionalists and modern organic types can get together and go to town on this one.

In other news, the Japanese beverage company Calpis has a newish lactic acid drink called MiLQ, "inspired by the benefits of mother's milk", which I'm dying to try.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum