Malt, Palm Sugar and Walnut Ice Cream Recipe

I mentioned in a post to K'Jam that I'd write out this recipe.

For the malt, I use Horlick's. It was the only brand that my shitty supermarket stocks. Friends have tried using malt extract from the brewing process, hops and all, and this proves to be a grim and terrible mistake. It's not to say that hops has no place in icecream. The new lychee/passionfruit-y Nelson Sauvin cultivar might work well if applied extremely judiciously, but you'd need to destroy too many batches of bitter ice cream before you came to a decent result.

Once you've eaten this, you'll wonder why malt ice cream isn't the world's most popular beige food.

Ingredients:

150gm palm sugar
250ml milk
Pinch of salt

6 egg yolks

500ml cream
100gm malt powder
50gms chopped walnuts

Method:


Grate up the palm sugar and warm in a saucepan with the milk and salt.

Whisk together the malt powder and cream in a large bowl.

In a different bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Once the palm sugar has dissolved in the milk, slowly pour the sugary milk into the yolks, whisking constantly. Pour this mix back into the saucepan and return to a medium heat, stirring constantly until the mix forms into thin custard. You'll know when it is done when it coats the back of your spoon.

Pour the custard into the cream and malt mix. Whisk and set in an ice bath to cool.

Once chilled, pour the mix into your ice cream maker. Add the walnuts just before it is finished. Try to eat without forming a smug grin.

2 comments:

    YESSSSssssssss
    Can't wait to try,
    Got a mysterious malt product in mind that I've seen by the cash register at a place nearby
    (it looks more like a bottle of opium drops or betadine antiseptic, but I hope it will aid the cause of ice cream grins)
    thanx for sharing!!
    malt, palm sugar and walnut, that is a heaven-scent combo.

     

    Very beige!
    The recipe looks yummy to me, though my American friend who coined the term used to yell "that's beige!" when she meant uninteresting/bland.
    For me beige=yummy, ha ha.

    I don't know why malt fascinates me. It makes things appear yummy to me, for instance, it makes me think Ovaltine and Milo are more interesting than cheap sugary cocoa (of course, the real Van Houten sits in a different realm).

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum