The other day at my Thai lesson the teacher told me that I am a sa-nee-plai-jaa-wak.

She didn't know how to explain it so she pointed at her dictionary

it said

"an attractive woman due to her fine culinary arts"

I'd like to think I'm attractive for more than just my cooking, but I'll take any compliment that's on offer.

I think it's telling that the Thai language has a specific word for such an attractiveness

Anyway, so later that day I went home and as if to prove her point I made really yummy mushroom gyoza.


Mushroom Gyoza

Packet of little flour dumpling wrappers

Mushrooms - you can use any you like but I use
dried shitake 2 (soaked in hot water and then squeezed out and thinly sliced)
dried black ear fungus mushrooms (same as above)
fresh shitake thinly sliced
oyster mushrooms thinly sliced

shredded cabbage
minced garlic 1 - 2 cloves
minced ginger good table spoon
4 garlic chives chopped
beansprouts

oil for frying
season with a couple of chugs of oyster sauce
or soy sauce or both
and/ or shaoxing wine
sesame oil

fry until done and then cool


P1090753.JPG

put a teaspoon in the middle of the dumpling and fold over, seal edges with a lightly beaten egg mixture

you can keep them in the fridge, covered with a moistened paper towel or cook straight away

To cook

put gulp of oil in the bottom of a cold non-stick pan along with a quarter of a cup of water (or enough water to just cover the bottom of the pan and steam the dumpling)

put dumplings in the pan and turn on the heat and cover. As the water evaporates it steams the dumplings, then the left over oil frys them nice and crispy on the bottom

take them out when you hear them sizzling and serve with chinese vinegar, this yummy mustard sauce

Mustard Sauce
1/2 table spoon of djion mustard
water down to a soy sauce like consistency
add a spalsh of rice vinegar
sugar to taste
good number of drops of sesame oil


P1090739.jpg

P1090749.jpg

They are good with beer

Afterwards I had left over filling and egg so I made a mushroom omelette too

1 comments:

    looks damn good. erik is going to LOVE these.
    we dangerously discovered some good frozen ones of korean origin at local asian market.

    thanks, little sa nee plaijaawak!

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum