Cat's Anus Coffee

Work days in Cambodia generally start pretty early. Cambodians tend to awake at the crack of dawn and generally go to bed just after sundown. The 7am work-starts (yes, that's starting at 7am) didn't sit too well with me unless I had copious amounts of coffee. Coffee in Cambodia has a strange vanilla flavour. I always used to assume that it was just some sort of Cambodian preference for vanilla flavoured coffee; until I found out later that the preference emerged from manufacturers trying to mimic the taste of the world's most expensive coffee, weasel coffee, or civet cat coffee. Yes, that's right, civet cat coffee. If you don't know what that is, let me enlighten you. It's the world's most expensive coffee, collected from the droppings of the civet cat (aka weasel) which prefers to eat the sweetest and the ripest coffee berries that fall to the ground, and then shits out the beans; which are by this point slightly fermented. Poor Vietnamese labourers pick through their pooh and collect the precious beans that are worrth up to $600 USD per kilo....and then they make coffee....

Vanilla flavouring aside, I know how I like my coffee: and it ain't out of a cat's anus.

Civet_Cat_2.jpg

5 comments:

    I wonder if Renee Zellweger drinks it?
    Miaow!!

     

    why renee zellweger, I don't see the connection

     

    i hate to be catty, but what image comes to mind when you think of her mouth?

     

    I've heard of a wolf poo coffee too.

     

    Oooh that sounds refreshing.

    Will it be wolf or weasel today maam?

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum